Survey Research & Economic Data
2021 AFP Compensation Report
The 2021 Association for Financial Professionals (AFP) Compensation Survey reports that treasury and finance professionals earned an average 2.9% base salary increase in 2020, a 0.8% decrease from the 3.7% gain in 2019. The base pay increase of 2.9% is the lowest salary increase reported in the past seven years.
A total of 2,268 financial professionals responded to the survey, providing salary information for nearly 5,000 incumbents.
More highlights from the survey include:
- In 2020, 69% of organizations awarded bonuses to their employees – a slightly lower percentage than the 72% that granted bonuses in 2019.
- In 2020, financial professionals with an MBA earned an average base salary that was nearly $15,000 higher than that of their counterparts who held only a bachelor’s degree or high school diploma or associate degree.
- Vice presidents of finance who hold a Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) designation earned on average 20% more in 2020 than their colleagues without the certification. Job titles with at least five incumbents holding the Certified Corporate FP&A Professional (FPAC) certification earned on average 3% more than their peers without the certification.
- Due to the pandemic, business leaders implemented various strategies to curtail costs and minimize impact of the crisis on their bottom lines. These measures included hiring freezes, reductions in the workforce, and salary cuts and are evident in the decrease in base salary raises and bonuses observed in this year’s survey findings.
AFP Compensation Dashboard:
The Compensation Dashboard provides a snapshot of salary information for 22 treasury/finance job titles, using data from the 2021 AFP Compensation Survey.
Access the AFP Compensation Dashboard.
AFP Career Pathing Tool:
Use the AFP Career Pathing Tool to roadmap your career goals and determine the skills you need to advance to the next level. The Career Pathing tool will guide financial professionals in discovering the skills and experience needed to plan their careers.
AFP Career Pathing Tool
- Read the Press Release: Treasury and Finance Professionals Earned 2.9 Increase in Base Salaries in 2020; Lower Than Past Years.
If you are interested in referencing data from this report in marketing materials, etc. please contact Mariam Lamech, Director Survey Research at [email protected].
Journalists should contact [email protected] or call 301.907.2862 for more in-depth information, to read the full report or to arrange an interview with the AFP Research team.
Contact Mariam Lamech, AFP's Director of Survey Research.